by Tyler Rousey @ 5:55 PM
Kentucky and Michigan State played a fantastic game last night. While it looked like Michigan State would run away early it was not the case. Yes Kentucky never had the lead. However, they fought back and made it interesting late in the second half. While Digger can say whatever he wants the effort fight from Kentucky was awesome. Here are things we learned from last night:
- Michigan State is good at basketball. They are the #1 team in the nation. They are extremely well coached and they play together. They capitalize on the other teams mistakes and they limit their own mistakes. This team is dangerous now and can only get better.
- Julius Randle is the best freshman and the best player in the nation. Yes he started slow but man he took off. Triple team, double team, contact, no contact, it doesn't matter. Randle finished and finished strong. He had another double-double with 27 points and 13 boards. He can't be stopped and Wiggins and Parker can just deal with it. Need proof? Here you go:
- Kentucky is still bad at free throws. 20-36. That is terrible. If they make half of the 16 they missed they win the game. While Randle hit most of his, he will need to make both. Kentucky will get fouled and they need to take advantage of that.
- When the Twins are bad Kentucky will struggle. While Randle is the heart of the team the Twins are the brain. They both played terrible. Their body language was bad through out the whole game. They had 7 turnovers combined and four assists. While they will be solid in March they sure looked like freshman yesterday.
- WCS is bad. I hoped he would get better this season and right now he hasn't. He can hardly hang on to the ball. He also can't hit a free throw. He can't play defense. He is 7 foot tall and he can't get double digit rebounds. He can't score in the paint. All he had was 5 points and 7 rebounds. That won't cut it. I believe he will be a four year player and hopefully he gets better.
- Alex looks like he has gotten better. He had 7 points and 12 rebounds. Yes he still got deflated at times. Yes he may have pouted. However, he going at a level that we didn't see much last year. He going for the ball on the ground. He was blocking shots and he just played well overall. In my opinion he has played his way back into the starting role. Over WCS.
- Officials are still bad. While I have no problem with the new rule changes I do have a problem with the consistency of the calls. They missed two or three walks by Michigan State players and were way to inconsistent on the hand check calls. Not to mention missing the player throw his hip into WCS when MSU hit that three towards the end of the game. All I'm saying is that the officials have to better in these big games.
- Kentucky will get better. There is no doubt Kentucky will get better. They will still be a #1 seed in the tournament. The flashes are there. When the Twins get in sync and Randle and Young play like they did this team will be dangerous. They played terrible last night and only lost by 4. That is impressive.
Follow me on Twitter @The_Rousey or @The_ATW